Project Lazarus is always in seek of a compassionate, Direct Support Professional to as an interdisciplinary team member on the supportive services team to maximize client choice, self-determination, and decision-making in the planning and coordination of care. Founded in 1985, Project Lazarus is a transitional living facility that provides important social support services, wellness opportunities, and a safe place to live for people living with HIV/AIDS in New Orleans.
This position serves as a role model, advocate, and motivator for participants. The Direct Support Professional must demonstrate an ability to de-escalate conflicts, initiate evacuation or other protocol in emergency situations, and troubleshoot house issues with participants and other agency staff members. This individual must have the ability to assist adults in mental wellness and activities of daily living through a professional practice based on recovery and resiliency. The DSP performs a wide range of tasks to assist adult clients in regaining independence within the community and mastery over their own recovery process.
The Direct Support Professional reports to the Lead Case Manager.
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Support participants in learning how to care for themselves in preparation for independent housing and living, including ensuring that participant rooms are cared for and inspected according to standards.
- Maintains daily routine of the house and assists participants throughout the day with engaging in program and/or community requirements.
- De-escalate minor interpersonal conflicts, provide crisis intervention, and oversee daily wellness of all participants.
- Admit and intake new participants, in cooperation with other program staff, including quarantine process, bag checks, and measurements paperwork.
- Review support office log activity and follow up on outstanding issues; complete confidential documentation and filing as necessary and in conjunction with other program staff.
- Participate in instructive cooking.
- Perform cleaning duties as assigned.
- Respond to security or other non-weather emergencies by contacting local authorities and on-call clinical staff.
- Assume leadership role in the event of a weather or facility emergency.
- Drive company vehicles if necessary, with and without participants in the vehicle.
Essential Skills and Qualifications for the Position include:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Professional demeanor, communication, and boundaries
- Ability to operate confidentially and understand HIPAA policies and procedures
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Substance abuse knowledge and experience
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Must be detail oriented and demonstrate follow through with open issues and ongoing projects
- Valid Driver’s License
- CNA or Behavioral Health Tech experience
- Prior social or human services experience
- Extended periods of standing and sitting.
- The ability to lift 20 -25 lbs as needed.
- Ability to walk up multiple flights of stairs.
To apply, please submit a resume with three professional references and a cover letter outlining your experience and qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Lazarus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.