Volunteers provide important physical and emotional support to our residents. Your committed gift of time and skill is vital to Project Lazarus' daily activity. We accept volunteers Monday through Friday, 8am-4:30pm. We've listed some of our volunteer opportunities below.
- Facilitate Bingo.
- Throw holiday parties and events.
- Invite our residents to an off-campus event (baseball game, aquarium, etc.)
- Facilitate an art activity.
- Go for a walk.
- Buddy system: A volunteer is paired with a resident for companionship. Buddies spend times together and talk. Talking and listening can make a big difference in the lives of some of our residents who may be disconnected from family and friends.
- Assist in donor appreciation.
- Data management.
- Help out with Annual Dinner, Bon Appetit, and Halloween fundraisers. A great way to meet staff and other volunteers! We need hundreds of volunteers in this area every year.
Sustainability and Food:
- Vegetable and flower gardening.
- Aiding our gardening instructor with scheduled classes.
- Maintaining rain barrels and cisterns.
- Assisting with general grounds planning and maintenance
Health and Resident Life:
- Data management.
- Research and one-on-one meetings with residents to assess their needs and progress.
- Help build new classes and think creatively about the classes we currently offer.
- Organize course catalogs.
- Teach a class. All classes are run by volunteer teachers. Examples include: HIV101, Financial Planning, Nutrition, Creative Writing, Improvisation, and Yoga. We have the curriculum in-place. No previous teaching experience required—just enthusiasm and knowledge of the subject matter.
Alternative Break Groups
- Offer private housing with a full kitchen and bathroom facilities on our campus.
- Can host groups of up to 12 people.
- Groups typically split their time between facilities work and resident activities. We also allow plenty of time for reflection and getting to know the city. We are only a 15 minute walk to the French Quarter.
- We fill-up quickly for March and April. So contact us in advance!
How To Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the general application and setup a brief, informative volunteer interview with Jessica Kinnison. Volunteers are not allowed on the premises without an appointment and initial interview out of respect for our residents. Thanks, and look forward to welcoming you to our team!
504-949-3609 Ext. 521